Thursday, January 31, 2013

School Closings

The past few months have been a pretty tough time for my local New York Catholic grammar schools. The New York Archdiocese has declared that there would be closings of a few schools, even though over the years there have been numerous closings. I have been a student of a closed school, and after 6th grade I had to start attending another school due to the fact that my current school had a lack of enrollment. Starting 7th grade and the high school process was enough but on top of that having to go to another school was pretty stressful. However, now I have been informed that the school I have attended after having to leave my first school is now closing. I've found out of this unfortunate news through faculty I know and my friends who have younger siblings still in the school, and  I even have a younger cousin in the school still. However, Archbishop Dolan claims it will "serve the kids better". Yet I am still confused on how this is possible. How is closing a school benefiting the child if you are taking away their education? Through the article read in The Daily News, it discusses how Archbishop Dolan continues to say that this is the right thing to do. I understand how he is trying to justify these actions. However, I do believe that they are straying away from the whole reason of why Catholic Schools even started, to give young children an education based on the Catholic beliefs. Taking away this from them is not really "serving the kids better" in my opinion. If there is a lack of enrollment, merging the schools should be taken into consideration. If there is a lack of funds, again merging with another school and/or budget cuts along with fundraising. There are many different paths that can be taken other than the immediate closure of a school. These children are our future and deserve only the best, and these schools *some which show impressive test scores* should stop being closed and should start being put first on the list of priorities of the Archdiocese.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that closing schools for the benefit of the children is not really the right thing to do. From the grammar school that I graduated from, and also the school that my younger brother currently goes to, they had to merge with a school that closed in the next town over. Many of the students from the closing school ended up going to public school, but some did come to my grammar school. You would think that it would benefit the school by having more students thus having more money to improve the school as a whole, but it did not sadly. My grammar school is struggling to hold all of these children. I agree that there needs to be a new system that benefits everybody: the diocese, the faculty, the families. Hopefully this change will come soon :)

    ReplyDelete